Wednesday 7 November 2007

24 hours cycling from Lisbon

Yes, its possible, as long as you have a little help.

Even if you're only in Lisbon for four days. As long as you meet up with Didier from Bike Iberia and he decides that you're cut of the right kind of cycling stuff to suggest that you should take on the Sebutal Peninsula.

Suffice to say Lisbon was still fairly hot in late October, we got to swim in the sea, and survived a hideous morning ride up (on something I swear was a motorway) to the least bike friendly rail station ever.

Full report on its way. We're just being a bit slack at the moment. Its winter you see.

2 comments:

bikeiberia said...

Hi there!
I was googling something and came across you!

I can't remember what you told me in the end, so now I just feel like asking...
did you really have a good time?
and enjoyed the cycling?

Station of Rossio re-open since FEB 2008 allows easier access to railways to Sintra and the South, I think they are more cycling friendly too.

Today, Sept 22, we just got the announcement of some more infrastrutures to make Lisbon even more cycle friendly.
The cycling community is growing fast and we have Critical Mass ride starting every last Friday from MARQUES DE POMBAL round about at 18:30h. more here http://www.massacriticapt.net/?q=book/export/html/34
and here
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.massacriticapt.net&langpair=pt%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

have fun, I will explore your blog a little more!
Many Greetings from Lisbon,
Didier
www.bikeiberia.com

Emma said...

Hi Didier

Thanks for your comment - I saw it back in October but then life got a bit busy for a while so sorry for the late reply...

I hope you saw this post - http://argumentsfor.blogspot.com/2008/04/trip-report-overnight-from-lisbon-to.html
which is where I finally posted the report of our trip. We did a neat trip in France for a week earlier this year and again my grand plans of getting it written up and online have gone astray.

I have very good memories of Lisbon and our short cycling trip down the coast - we really enjoyed it.

Thanks for your news of the improvement in cycling facilities - it might be a good excuse to come back!

Emma